Friday, May 4, 2007

Friday at last... nonpoker content

EDIT: Because I'm a user friendly blogger, in case you want to know more about the Smack off I mention at the bottom, click HERE.

I can't believe it's about to be a whole week before I say anything about my take on the NFL draft. Personally, I'm a huge NFL junky. I love college football too but I certainly don't get into it the way I do with the NFL... plus it doesn't help that I don't have a particular team that I root for (that's the beauty of going to a I-AA school though we do have a couple of currently active NFL players). The best thing about the draft was the fact that Brady Quinn fell all the way down to 22... the only thing that sucks about that is the fact that he'll be playing for the Browns. I never bought into the Quinn hype since he didn't do anything in any of the nationally televised games that I watched but for some reason, those ass kissing wenches over at ESPN.com seem to like him. So, if he's really good as advertised or is supposed to be a good NFL QB, I'd hate to see him in Cleveland since my beloved Steelers have to play them. Well, either way, it won't be for a few more years that we need to worry about that so I guess it doesn't matter. I have nothing to add in terms of the Steelers draft choice. Every year, I'm not wowed by any of their picks and yet they seem to do a very good job drafting each year so I'll just trust their judgment and eagerly await the opening of the NFL season...

Which takes me to probably my second favorite topic after poker... fantasy football. Some thinks it's too early to be talking about fantasy football... but I really can't wait. In one of the leagues that I'm in, we recently established the draft pick picking order. No, that's not a typo. We get to pick our draft pick position based on the number that you were picked. So in other words, I'm #5 in the lottery order (out of 10 teams) so the first 4 guys get to pick where they want to draft and I have six slots remaining to choose from. Sounds like somewhat of a nonsense? Well, it depends. Since our league is a keeper league, if you have LaDainian Tomlinson (a stud, STUD RB, in case you don't know) in the first round, you might want to choose to go last and make him your keeper. Then, in essence, your #10 pick in the first round is LT AND since it's a snake draft, you get to go 1st in the 2nd round (11th overall pick). Pretty interesting idea by our commish, IMO. Now, the 4 clowns in front of me need to decide which slot they want to draft in so that I could make my pick as well. Yeah, I know, I'm probably 2-3 months too early in the whole excitement process, what can I say.

Speaking of exciting, for those of you that tune into the Jim Rome show, today should be a good show. Today is the 2007 Smack Off. Don't know what that is? Well, today is one day out of the whole year where the show is entirely made of callers to run a good smack on each other, athletes, celebrities and Canada (or the US, if the caller is Canadian). The way they ensure that these are good callers is that this is invite only. So, if you called in during the year with solid takes and good smack, Jim Rome makes the decision to put you in the smack off. This should be a good one. Sean the Cablinasian who is a 4 time winner in this 13 yr run of the smack off always brings great smack (last year's was a classic... And his closing of "I just need clones to be clones and athletes to be stupid and I can just do my thing which is to talk great smack. BOOM goes the dynamite! I'll talk to you in an hour Jim!") was great. This year, there's a first time contestant who the listeners of the show should be pretty psyched about. Vick from No Cal has been running fantastic smack since December (which is when he first called in). When I first heard him on his very first call in December, I was shocked to hear how good a first time caller could be... and ever since then, the legend has been growing. We'll see how he fares in his first ever smack off.

9am PST/12pm EST today! If you want to try it out, you can listen to the show for free through streaming media here.

No comments: