Monday, May 28, 2007

Couple of interesting hands over the weekend...

I hope everyone had a nice memorial day weekend. This has been a very relaxing weekend for me since my theme was to "not do a damn thing." And I lived up to the theme too. All I did was play poker and video games. Since Mrs Recess was out of town for most of the weekend, that is literally all I did. Considering how much I played though, sadly, I have nothing to report unlike Fuel who's obviously killing the game. Well, here are couple of hands that I thought was interesting.

9 handed table, $2/$4NL, this guy just sat and I don't have any information about this guy.
Villain in MP raises to $12
Folded to me and I call with 89s on the button
Both blinds fold

*** FLOP *** [8h Jd 3d]
Villain bets $18
RecessRampage raises to $42 <--- I catch a piece of this flop and since his bet looks like a c-bet, I thought this will be enough to take it down
Villain calls $24
*** TURN *** [8h Jd 3d] [Js]
Villain checks
RecessRampage bets $80 <--- with the J pairing and him checking, I like my hand even more
Villain calls $80
*** RIVER *** [8h Jd 3d Js] [6s]
Villain bets $280.20, and is all in
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act

What would you do here? I thought maybe he's betting his missed flush draw but if he's gonna do that, would he push all in? Did he catch a set on the river with the pocket sixes that he couldn't let go?

RecessRampage folds
Uncalled bet of $280.20 returned to Villain
Villain shows [5c 3c] (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
Villain wins the pot ($271)

I really would like some feedback. It was really borderline for me and it's a pity that this happened so early in the villain's session because apparently, that's how this guy rolls and about an hour later, everyone was picking him off and he left empty handed but unfortunately, I wasn't in any meaningful hands with him after this. But not knowing that, what would you do?

What about this hand?

9 handed, $2/$4NL:

I raise $14 from MP with pocket tens
CO calls $14
Heads up going into the flop

*** FLOP *** [6s 7h Th]
RecessRampage bets $25 <--- with so many draws out there, I figured I'll make what looks like a standard c-bet
CO calls $25
*** TURN *** [6s 7h Th] [3c]
RecessRampage bets $84 <--- I bet the size of the pot to price out his draws
CO thinks about it, then calls $84 <--- he either already has a straight or he's got a piece of the board
*** RIVER *** [6s 7h Th 3c] [8d]
RecessRampage checks <--- I hate that river card
CO bets $287.90, and is all in
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act

What do you do here? The pot before his bet was approx $240 and I have him covered for the entire amount. I couldn't imagine what type of hands would hang around in terms of the betting. 99? 89? Or, did he have like A6 of hearts or just Ax of hearts and trying to bet on the scare card to take this pot away?

Think about it. And tell me what you would do here. And what your read is.






This is what I did...







RecessRampage calls $287.90
*** SHOW DOWN ***
CO shows [9s 5s] (a straight, Ten high)
RecessRampage mucks
CO wins the pot ($824.80) with a straight, Ten high

5-9 sooted... I have no way of putting him on that hand and I'm not even sure why he called the preflop bet or the flop bet. On the turn however, he was double-gutted so maybe he thought it was worth it. Now sure enough, I paid him off so I did make it worth it for him. But regardless of the results, what would you have done. According to propokertools, based on the range of hands that I could put him on, this is what it shows.



I'm not trying to justify my call or anything. Those were what I thought would be the realistic hand ranges. Am I missing something? Should I be including more possible holdings? Let me know what you all think.

5 comments:

Mike Maloney said...

I probably fold the first hand. With only middle pair and no information, just seems too tough to be able to call.

The second hand, I got an 'overbet for value' on his push on the river. He was still stupid for playing that hand the way he did, but considering he hit his hand I think the push on the river was a good move by him. Tough call. I probably lay that down sometimes, but I'd be more inclined to call with a set. If it was TP, I'm definitely letting it go.

AnguilA said...

I would have folded to both bets.

In hand 1 you just can't call with such a weak hand unless you have a good read on the guy that he's on a busted draw, and you didn't have it, so nothing else you can do.

In hand 2 it looks like the guy is overbetting for value with a 9. i don't think he would have played the hand that way with a lower set, but it would fit something like 99.
Obviously 95 was out of the question.

SirFWALGMan said...

My advice: Stop asking for advice. Ha! How about A9h.. He might call both bets and the turn gives him and OESD and Flush draw.. that is one possible hand..

lj said...

hey, couldn't find your email on your blog...leave it on my comments and i'll email you bout clubs -- don't worry, i don't have many readers. : ) i don't know any on li, just in the city. also, thanks for the advice. i am going to be in vegas during the blogger thing. was supposed to play in the sat tournament, but may play in the binion's ladies event instead. not really sure what i'm going to do while i'm there, but looking forward to a vacation!

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

One day later, few comments later, the second call was a very tough one. The villain's hand definitely fits the profile of a 99. But it also fits a hand like 7-8 or 6-8 where he has a pair and a gut shot straight draw. Even like 8-10 (granted, that means the case ten hit the board) would make sense. But obviously, 9-10, A9h, etc would make sense. In that sense, I think what he had is almost inconsequential. I guess it boils down to does he have a 9 or not? I felt like it was almost a toss up and literally, I was back and forth using up the 15 seconds (which btw, is one thing about FTP that SUCKS) and finally decided to call... oh well.