Last night, my cat passed away. His kidneys failed him so despite the treatment that the vet was giving him, he never recovered. First signs of deterioration was that when I got back from Vegas, I noticed he wasn't eating as much. That turned into him not showing any interest in the wet food at all. I knew something was wrong so I figured I'd wait a few days and see what happened.
Fast forward to Sat night around midnight, he tried to go up the steps except his hind legs were giving out because he was so weak. I rushed him to the emergency veterinary hospital and around 2:30am, was told that he might not even make it through the night and that I had a choice to make. I could pay for treatment which may or may not work or I could just cut him loose then and there. After making sure that he was not in pain and that the treatment wouldn't just extend his misery, I opted to pay for the treatment.
The following evening, the vet called me to give me an update. After approx 18 hrs of treatment, Gus is showing no signs of improvement. She asked if I wanted to continue the treatment or to let him go. I asked her what she thought. Again, I don't want to keep him alive for my reasons. I want to give him a fighting chance but not if that means he's just gonna be in pain. But basically, his body was shutting down so he's sleeping most of the time and not really in pain. As long as there's life, there's hope. So I told her to continue with the treatment and that if there are no signs of improvement by Monday night (48hrs since he first got to the hospital), I was ready to "pull the plug." She assured me that she would call me if there was any change.
I knew it was bad news when I heard my phone vibrate on the nightstand next to me at 3am. I answered and the doctor gave me the grave news. Gus just passed away. I went over to the hospital to see him for the last time, pay the remaining balance for the hospital bill, and sign some papers regarding his cremation procedures. Rest in peace, Gus. We love you.