Thursday, May 3, 2007

Bad Karma Part 4... and what does Fuel say about Presto???

It's official! This is officially my "series". Now, personally, I'm not one to bitch and moan about bad beats. I understand it's part of the game and so I'm not REALLY angry. And no, I'm not in denial even though the more I try to say I'm not, the more it seems like I am so I'll stop here.

I've never cared for bad beat stories in general. We've all been there. We've all been sucked out on. We've all sucked out on others. And if you think you're the victim of unusual bad luck or if you think online poker is rigged, well, that's your way of justifying and we all have our own coping mechanisms so I won't judge you. So, having said that, I don't know if anyone is interested in this "Bad Karma" Series but I've discovered something about myself during this process. I must have some serious masochist side to me because I actually enjoy reading about my own bad beats. I just kinda find it comical. I guess that's better than letting these things put me on tilt because literally, I can easily play on. So, without further ado, here's Part 4 of my newly created self masochism series.

Oh and as the title suggests, this one has a little interesting twist too. At least I thought so.

Full Tilt Poker Game #2339682598: Table Brooks - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:05:12 ET - 2007/05/02
Seat 1: mobeck ($199.20)
Seat 2: RecessRampage ($562.20) <--- started with $400, been playing well
Seat 3: pokerspade ($199.60)
Seat 4: pokerRN72 ($405.50)
Seat 5: Shimiwaza ($160), is sitting out
Seat 6: Stylistic ($779)
Seat 7: nsewell4 ($919.10)
Seat 8: gus hansen 75o ($411.10)
Seat 9: Metr ($85.20)
mobeck posts the small blind of $2
RecessRampage posts the big blind of $4
Shimiwaza has returned
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [3h 3s] <--- I actually love getting pocket pairs in the blinds
pokerspade folds
pokerRN72 folds
Stylistic raises to $14
nsewell4 folds
Shimiwaza stands up
gus hansen 75o folds
Metr folds
mobeck folds
torrent adds $400
RecessRampage calls $10
*** FLOP *** [6h 3c 5c] <--- booyah!
RecessRampage bets $30 <--- I'll never slow play trips, esp against an aggressive player
Stylistic raises to $95 <--- just as I expected. He generally sees me as a weak/tightish player so this was expected. He'd do this with AK, maybe AQs, any pocket pair...
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act <--- trying to figure out how much to raise
RecessRampage raises to $315
Stylistic raises to $765, and is all in <--- uh oh... he's aggressive but not stupid... he either has AA, KK, or this could be the "KARMA"
RecessRampage calls $233.20, and is all in
Stylistic shows [5d 5s] <--- Damn... you know what they say about presto... yep, it's gold
RecessRampage shows [3h 3s]
Uncalled bet of $216.80 returned to Stylistic
RecessRampage: nh
*** TURN *** [6h 3c 5c] [Qs]
*** RIVER *** [6h 3c 5c Qs] [Ad]
Stylistic shows three of a kind, Fives
RecessRampage shows three of a kind, Threes
Stylistic wins the pot ($1,123.40) with three of a kind, Fives
RecessRampage is sitting out

This was obviously not a bad beat story. I was beat from the beginning to the end. My bad karma series isn't gonna focus on how I got sucked out on... just the brutal side of poker that occasionally pops up here and there. Stylistic (who is a regular at these tables) quickly noted how bad of a cooler it was for me. So, I mentioned that the only thing that sucked about this was the fact that he was only 1 of 2 guys at the table that had me covered. Why couldn't it be a shorty? Then I wouldn't have lost so much money. Went from +$150 to -$400 in a hurry. But like I said, one thing I'm good at is that it takes a lot for me to tilt. So, after sitting out one hand to collect my thoughts and to make sure I was ok, I got back in to the game. (Plus, even though I had a set, with a 5 out there, I should have just folded) :)

7 minutes later...

Full Tilt Poker Game #2339682598: Table Brooks - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:12:11 ET - 2007/05/02
Seat 1: mobeck ($212.30)
Seat 2: RecessRampage ($392)
Seat 3: pokerspade ($201.60)
Seat 4: pokerRN72 ($427.50)
Seat 5: torrent ($406)
Seat 6: Stylistic ($1,336.20)
Seat 7: nsewell4 ($919.10), is sitting out
Seat 8: gus hansen 75o ($401.10)
Seat 9: Metr ($91.20)
pokerspade posts the small blind of $2
pokerRN72 posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [5h 5s] <--- GOLD
torrent folds
Stylistic folds
gus hansen 75o folds
Metr folds
mobeck folds
RecessRampage raises to $14 <--- until today's post by Fuel, I didn't even know you were allowed to limp with presto... as such, a standard raise here.
pokerspade folds
pokerRN72 calls $10 <--- another one who will play strong to defend his blinds
*** FLOP *** [5c 6c 6d] <--- BOOM!
pokerRN72 checks
RecessRampage bets $25 <--- never slow down.
pokerRN72 raises to $72 <--- NICE! Overpair?
RecessRampage calls $47 <--- since I'm in position, I'm not gonna get into a raising war just yet... esp if he's on a draw, let him get there.
*** TURN *** [5c 6c 6d] [3h]
pokerRN72 checks
RecessRampage checks <--- show weakness. He'll definitely walk right into this one
*** RIVER *** [5c 6c 6d 3h] [4c]
pokerRN72 bets $56 <--- told ya!
RecessRampage raises to $140 <--- I really hope you have clubs...
pokerRN72 calls $84
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RecessRampage shows [5h 5s] (a full house, Fives full of Sixes)
pokerRN72 mucks
RecessRampage wins the pot ($451) with a full house, Fives full of Sixes <--- BOOM!

Ok, so this doesn't quite belong in a Bad Karma posting but I thought it was funny that within 10 minutes, I got crushed by pocket 5s and then won a good sized pot (alas not enough to make up for the earlier but still) with the same hand. Villain had pocket 7s with one club, btw. The masochist side of me did think (as I raised to $140) that it would make for a great blog post if he had 78 of clubs for a straight flush.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was going to be a straight flush when I first saw what was happening....nice :)

Anonymous said...

First the "program" hates you then it likes you. Stop messing with its emotions...

Fuel55 said...

Presto is surely gold.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's exactly what happened to me at the SNG at the Hard Rock. I flop trip 6's while one of the other three guys in the hand flops trip Jacks. Just brutal. Nothing you can do about that. Gus Hansen. That's kind of cool. Is his icon a picture of a skinny guy flexing?

Anonymous said...

Incidentally, I hear its bad karma to mispell karma.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Thanks for pointing it out... don't know why I thought there was a silent H... or should I say I don't know wy I thout there was a silent H...

Anonymous said...

Since he called you would have known his losing hand. Why not posting it?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering how are you determining that this guy stylistic is an aggressive player? I've heard from others that he is pretty solid.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Let me address couple of comments. I didn't mean to hide pokerRN72's hand. He ended up having pocket 7s so made the straight on the river.

As for stylistic, he is definitely a solid player and one that I wouldn't want to be in a hand with meager holdings. However, he is, just like other solid players, very aggressive in terms of betting. If he has a solid holding or senses weakness, he will bet pretty aggressively. I didn't mean it in a "he's too aggressive" type of way. On the same token, if you have position on him, I think he's a very trappable player.