Thursday, October 11, 2007

3 different themes

My writings are sometimes so unorganized... Oh well, so why attempt to organize it now, right? I'm gonna put the best one first.

Part 1 - This is why you bet flopped sets

Full Tilt Poker Game #3818558083: Table Centennial - $5/$10 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:25:50 ET - 2007/10/10
Seat 1: Big Eye Fish ($1,245)
Seat 2: sunfish2 ($1,097)
Seat 3: JPhil007 ($1,000)
Seat 4: cmglive ($1,441.50)
Seat 5: BLACKBART 36 ($2,182.60)
Seat 6: RecessRampage ($1,471.50)
Seat 7: josh3336 ($400), is sitting out
Seat 8: childressd ($871.15)
Seat 9: agate50 ($992.50)
Big Eye Fish posts the small blind of $5
sunfish2 is sitting out
JPhil007 posts the big blind of $10
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [Qc Qs]
cmglive calls $10
BLACKBART 36 calls $10
sunfish2 stands up
RecessRampage raises to $55
childressd calls $55
agate50 folds
Big Eye Fish has 15 seconds left to act
Big Eye Fish calls $50
JPhil007 folds
cmglive calls $45
KINGS777Kid adds $1,000
BLACKBART 36 folds

*** FLOP *** [5d Qh 4c]
Big Eye Fish checks
cmglive checks
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage bets $140 <--- cuz I'm a man
childressd has 15 seconds left to act
childressd calls $140
JPhil007 adds $10
Big Eye Fish folds
cmglive folds

I have to admit... When I bet out the $140 into what was like a $220 pot, I started regretting it. I mean top set, I thought maybe I can allow one more card and hope that an ace falls on the turn. I also hoped someone was slowplaying presto. Nonetheless, I do what I do best which is betting sets when I flop them. The only other concern was that I thought my bet amount might be a little too small for a c-bet and that it might be construed as a bet that was meant to look weak (which is exactly what it was). I thought because of that, I might not get much action. This is also potentially a tell if in other hands, I bet a bigger percentage of the pot when I'm actually defending hands (ie, bet sizing between monster and vulnerable hands would easily be a tell against an opponent who pays attention). But, all my concerns aside, I got one caller. I wasn't exactly sure what he had at this point to call. Maybe he flopped a set? Seems unlikely he has a Q since there are already 3 out there.

*** TURN *** [5d Qh 4c] [Jd]
RecessRampage checks
childressd has 15 seconds left to act
childressd bets $375
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage raises to $750
childressd INSTAcalls $301.15, and is all in
RecessRampage shows [Qc Qs]
childressd shows [Ac Kc]
Uncalled bet of $73.85 returned to RecessRampage

This is just a classic move. Throw out a c-bet looking bet on the flop, check as if I've given up, induce a bluff, and go in for the kill. The only shocker here was that he instacalls. With A high. I did think the moment I saw his card "10 would be sick."

*** RIVER *** [5d Qh 4c Jd] [As] <--- then I remembered I'm not Fuel
RecessRampage shows three of a kind, Queens
childressd shows a pair of Aces
RecessRampage wins the pot ($1,869.30) with three of a kind, Queens
childressd is sitting out



No way I'm stacking this guy had I checked the flop. By the turn, he probably felt committed with the size of the pot. Who knows what he thought. Nonetheless, I still think the key was betting out on the flop.

Part 2 - Variation plays

This is one that turned out to be profitable. But in the long run, I'm not sure if this is +EV or not. Keep in mind that I don't raise with this hand every time UTG. Hence, it's called a variation play. And actually... on this hand, I'm gonna hide the names to protect the innocent (or rather, not give away too much info).

It happened at a 5-10NL table (9 handed) and I basically had a bet or two more than the initial buy in of $1,000. The villain who was sitting in the BB had over $2k behind him.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [6h 7s]
RecessRampage raises to $35 <--- from UTG
Villain (BB) raises to $110
RecessRampage calls $75

The raise from UTG with 6-7 was just meant to steal the blinds. I rarely raise from UTG unless I have a big hand so I occasionally throw in a raise from UTG as a variation play. Again, I'm not sure how +EV it is in terms of the variation alone but it's got more to do with metagame factor... at least in my mind it does. Of course, I hated to see the reraise from the BB. I mean I raised from UTG so everyone should expect me to have a strong hand. He then reraises so he clearly has a big hand. The key factor of me calling here is that I assumed that he must have a hand like AA or KK. So, if I flop big, I could double through. I mean it's similar to the set mining concept. Plus, how can I raise preflop from UTG and then fold to a reraise? If the board doesn't cooperate, I'd play it off like I had TT or JJ or something but folding here against a deep stack was not an option. Now, note that if the reraiser was shorter (like if he only had $400-$500 behind him), this would be a different story.

*** FLOP *** [8h Qd Ah]
Villain checks
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage bets $180
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain: kk
Villain has requested TIME
Villain folds
Uncalled bet of $180 returned to RecessRampage
RecessRampage mucks
RecessRampage wins the pot ($222)

This was obviously a pure steal. Any c-bet here would've gotten me off the pot. Well... unless it smells too much like a c-bet which then I may have made a move. But again, when it was checked to me, I had to bet. I mean what other choice do I have? Either I bet and if I get raised, I fold. But betting is the only way I have a chance so I obviously bet out here. Villain tells me he has KK, thinks for a very long time but eventually folds. He seems like a pretty good player so I have to believe him. Unless he was seriously making a move from BB against a UTG raiser who just recently joined the table. Doubtful. He didn't seem to like the fact that I didn't show though. Cuz during the next hand, he was like "come on, I folded KK, no show?" To which I had to respond "sorry, I never show. But I had you. Obv." I don't like to show my bluffs because I'm aware of my inability to capitalize on the information I give off like that. So, I'd rather maintain a "solid" image rather than a gambler's image.

Part 3 - Slow play to no pay

Yes, I sometimes donk play to no pay also.

Full Tilt Poker Game #3818527513: Table Rose Canyon - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:22:56 ET - 2007/10/10
Seat 1: RecessRampage ($364.20)
Seat 2: soulcaliber ($80)
Seat 3: uscjustallin ($430.60)
Seat 4: sourpuss1 ($245.70)
Seat 5: Skiperade ($273)
Seat 6: FoldTOcash ($400)
Seat 7: HEPennypacker ($224.40)
Seat 8: CastleRock4 ($324.20)
Seat 9: bmb013 ($400)
sourpuss1 posts the small blind of $2
Skiperade has 5 seconds left to act
Skiperade posts the big blind of $4
5 seconds left to act
soulcaliber posts $4
The button is in seat #3

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [Ac Ad]
FoldTOcash folds
HEPennypacker folds
CastleRock4 folds
bmb013 raises to $18
RecessRampage calls $18
soulcaliber folds
uscjustallin folds
sourpuss1 folds
Skiperade folds

*** FLOP *** [3s 2h 9d]
bmb013 bets $32
RecessRampage calls $32

*** TURN *** [3s 2h 9d] [8c]
bmb013 bets $65
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage raises to $130
bmb013 raises to $350, and is all in
RecessRampage calls $184.20, and is all in
bmb013 shows [8h 8d]
RecessRampage shows [Ac Ad]
Uncalled bet of $35.80 returned to bmb013

*** RIVER *** [3s 2h 9d 8c] [4c]
bmb013 shows three of a kind, Eights
RecessRampage shows a pair of Aces
bmb013 wins the pot ($735.40) with three of a kind, Eights
RecessRampage: damn
RecessRampage is sitting out

No much to analyze here. Title says it all. More often than not, I reraise with my aces preflop and I might raise on the flop (if I didn't reraise preflop) so again, this was just me playing aces differently and then losing a stack based on that.

Easy come, easy go.

3 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Classic: "then I remembered I'm not Fuel"

lightning36 said...

My Aces get cracked more than 50% of the time in ring games. Never seen so many damn sets made on the flop. Online poker is rigged.

Nice post and interesting play.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan! I found your webiste trough the Goat! I must say it's really good! I think more players would like to read your stories and that’s why i would like to give you a tip about the pokerweblog portal at www.pokerweblogs.com Poker blogs from around the world are listed up there and it’s a great way to give your poker blog more attention worldwide. I think your blog is also good enough to be placed there and i hope to see you there! Greets Vince (from Holland)