Thursday, July 26, 2007

Slow play to No pay

This hand, IMO, is really not worth posting... except this idiot started ranting about how he couldn't believe it and how bad I was. So I go "Slow play to no pay" and he retaliates with "Slow play??? You called $32!" Ah, yes, I did. But this is why...

Full Tilt Poker Game #3066525114: Table Slate Harbor - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:38:03 ET - 2007/07/26
Seat 1: sslick000 ($134)
Seat 2: The Sushi Chef ($474)
Seat 3: 10QKA ($202.50)
Seat 4: tequillamonster ($302.75)
Seat 5: hoytbuck ($111.55)
Seat 6: RecessRampage ($410.90)
Seat 7: ODB235 ($84)
Seat 8: campb86508 ($157), is sitting out
Seat 9: IRONLAND ($200)
The Sushi Chef posts the small blind of $2
10QKA posts the big blind of $4
5 seconds left to act
IRONLAND posts $4
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [5h 7d]
tequillamonster folds
hoytbuck folds
RecessRampage raises to $18
ODB235 folds
IRONLAND has 15 seconds left to act
IRONLAND folds
sslick000 folds
The Sushi Chef calls $16
10QKA has 15 seconds left to act
10QKA calls $14

Yeah, I know... open raise with 5-7off from MP? This table was insanely weak tight so I wanted to liven up a few things. I mean table full of nits. I was thinking about leaving pretty seriously...

*** FLOP *** [Kh 8c 2d] <--- whiff! strike 1
The Sushi Chef checks
10QKA checks
RecessRampage checks

I'm not even gonna try with this board. Let's see what the turn does for me.

*** TURN *** [Kh 8c 2d] [6c] <--- foul ball, strike 2
The Sushi Chef bets $32
10QKA has 15 seconds left to act
10QKA calls $32
RecessRampage calls $32

Here it is. The $32 call. Well, now I have the pot odds. I'm thinking, just give me an offsuit 4 or 9.

*** RIVER *** [Kh 8c 2d 6c] [4d] <--- back, back, back, back, gone!!!
The Sushi Chef checks
10QKA has 15 seconds left to act
10QKA bets $60
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage raises to $200
The Sushi Chef folds
10QKA calls $92.50, and is all in
Uncalled bet of $47.50 returned to RecessRampage

The only thing I had to think about was if I call, would Sushi Chef call as well? If he did, I only get $60 more. If I put the other guy all in, he's gotta call, I think, and I'll get $90+ instead. So, I do. He calls. And this is what he shows. Slow play to no pay... Shoulda raised on the turn sir!

7 comments:

Astin said...

Hmm...
18x3+32x2=118

3.7:1 odds for a $32 call.

OESD = 8 outs with 1 card to come
4.75:1 against

But you're scared(?) of the clubs, so that's 6 outs. 6.67:1 against.

------------

When did the definition of pot odds change? Don't get me wrong, yay to gambling. Your IMPLIED pot odds were excellent as long as the club didn't come down. Is that what you meant?

I'm just seeing it more and more in the blogs, and hearing it at both live and online tables, "I had the pot odds to call" or "You let me get there" because I left 3:1 odds to an inside straight draw.

SirFWALGMan said...

I think AK guy played it fine.. His bet on the turn *should* have been enough to get you out..

You also got paid though.. which means that technically you had the implied odds to play the hand if you knew he was going to call your 200 buck bet..

Not something I think I would do a lot of though..

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I wasn't too afraid of the clubs except with a club 4 or the 9, the only thing it could do is actually hinder the action unless I'm beat. And when I say I had the odds to call, I never mean just the immediate pot odds. But in this case, with two others in the hand, my implied odds were excellent. If someone caught runner runner for a flush over my runner runner for a straight, so be it. If it were a club 4 or 9, on the river, I woulda just called the bet. Offsuit, and I put the other guy all in. The definition of pot odds never changed. But I did have the odds to call. Though, in looking at my blog, I did say pot odds. I should take the "pot" out of there. As long as the person has enough money behind, I would generally make the call. Generally as in all the time. I like straight draws so much more than flush draws because they're better concealed and it seems more people will pay you off than when a third suit shows up on the board.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Astin, one more note. 3:1 on an inside straight draw sounds ridiculous but if someone had two overs (like QJ on a 8-9-3-3 board), it is possible (though unlikely at a very low level) that the guy was figuring the two overs as outs. In the example here, even if you had 8-9, a simple Q or a J on the river counterfeits your two pair so then there would actually be 10 outs vs just the 4 outs. Just a thought.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Waffles, he did not bet. The guy with AK smoothcalled the bet from the SB.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

-EV call on the turn. Got lucky. Way to get paid off.

1Queens Up1 said...

5-7 sooted or not is the best starting hand in the world. (imho)

Nuff said. :-)