Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A situation I faced with pocket aces...

This isn't a super tough situation or anything but I'd love to hear some ideas/comments about how you would proceed in this hand... The big stack hasn't done anything too crazy but he also has made some plays where the situation calls for it (either that or he's getting a sick run of cards).

Full Tilt Poker Game #2040414873: Table Wetlands Park - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:41:56 ET - 2007/03/21
Seat 1: bp2020 ($133.40)
Seat 2: seebee25 ($127)
Seat 3: rowenazolekker ($81)
Seat 4: offtotheraces ($158)
Seat 5: bizaer ($894.80)
Seat 6: dachamp242 ($534.90)
Seat 7: tj2006 ($414)
Seat 8: nsewell4 ($638)
Seat 9: RecessRampage ($362.70)
bizaer posts the small blind of $2
dachamp242 posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [Ac Ad]
tj2006 folds
nsewell4 folds
RecessRampage raises to $14
bp2020 folds
seebee25 folds
rowenazolekker folds
offtotheraces folds
bizaer calls $12
dachamp242 folds
*** FLOP *** [3c 9d Jd]
bizaer checks
RecessRampage bets $26
bizaer raises to $62


Ok, so what's your play? This obviously isn't a test question. I really would like some input on the thought process and get some ideas on what to do in this situation. Hopefully, I will get a few comments back and then I'll tell you what I did and what happened.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think that he's either on a monster draw or has trips and is trying to prevent you from catching a monster draw. You initially raised, so he may just see your bet on the flop as a continuation bet, although your bet was about 90%-95% of the pot. Your raise was also a standard 3.5x blind, so the range he might have you on is 10s - As or AK. So what does that mean for his hand? Well, since there was no re-raise, I would cancel out KK. Since you have the A d, he knows he doesn't have the nut flush if he's on a diamond draw. You can forget the straight draw, unless this guy is uber-loose and calls a raise out of position with q-10, 8-10. So what Kd hands would he have called a preflop raise? KQ - maybe..K-10, no. So the hands I would have him on is QQ or JJ or KQ diamonds.
If I correctly know your style, I think you would of went over the top and pushed all-in. Me, I probably would of pushed too.

Anonymous said...

well....I would have gotten pretty nervous on this raise but I definitely would not have folded. For $36.00 more I may have just quickly called and waited to see if he remained aggressive after the turn card. Obviously, you're giving up control of the hand there, but he may slow down if you quickly call after the flop. With the stack he has, he may have been calling you with J/9 suited and ended up catching two pair. But then again, if he only has J/A he may back down if you come out betting big after the turn. If you bet big after the turn and he came over top again.....it may be time to lay those cards down. Obviously tough to lay down aces.