Thursday, March 22, 2007

Following up to the AA hand that I faced

Before I start, I need to do a disclaimer I think.... My recent posts have been very similar to the posts of other bloggers that I've been frequenting... however, I'm not just copying their ideas. I see some posts, think that's a good idea so that's why I post... I didn't want to be the blogger copy cat....

Well, I posted this hand on a forum as well and it actually generated a lot more discussion than I had expected. The fact that I did have the Ad made me feel better because I did have a potential redraw. However, I did not want to shove because I felt that I didn't necessarily wanna commit all my money especially in a situation where I still had position. I also don't necessarily believe that you should go broke if you have AA and someone hits trips. Happens, but not something that I don't think is avoidable from time to time. So, I called. The following is what ended up happening:
*** FLOP *** [3c 9d Jd]

bizaer checks

RecessRampage bets $26

bizaer raises to $62

RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act

RecessRampage calls $36

*** TURN *** [3c 9d Jd] [Td]

bizaer checks

RecessRampage bets $100

bizaer has 15 seconds left to act

bizaer folds

Uncalled bet of $100 returned to RecessRampage

RecessRampage mucks

RecessRampage wins the pot ($153)


In looking at it now, I probably should have pushed on the flop. Based on the fact that he didn't like the third diamond and he folded, he obviously wasn't on the flush draw, nor did he have trips. So, the only hand that makes sense is KK or QQ... maybe AJ if he were that loose but I don't see him as a guy that would check raise me on a dangerous board like that with an off suit AJ. Maybe, but that wasn't my impression of the guy. So, if I shoved on the flop, he may or may not fold his KK or QQ...


The bet on the turn is also questionable. If he were on a flush draw, that would have been a perfect check raise opportunity for him so I opened that door right up. Considering I had the nut flush draw, in case he had trips, this probably would have been a good checking opportunity. If he didn't already have trips, at most, he only had 2 outs. If he did have trips, I had 9 outs and would have gotten the card for free. The more I analyze myself, the turn bet was definitely a donk bet. The reason I bet at the time was because at that point, I was ready to commit. With 3 diamonds and me having AA (with a diamond), I felt like I was ready to take that chance. Well, if I'm willing to take that kind of a chance on the turn, I should have just pushed on the flop. Based on the hands that he could have had after the preflop/flop sequence, this is what my equity looks like:



I think this is a fairly reasonable range of hands to put my opponent on. J9 might be a little loose but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. So, based on that, I probably should have pushed and if the opponent did have KK or QQ (especially if one of them was a diamond), I may have gotten a call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that's exactly what I said to do (thank you very much).