Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Damn, I'm a donk sometimes...

Or should I say more often than not... fortunately, there are even bigger donks out there so that helps. Sometimes, I look at my play and I wonder how the hell I make money playing poker... And sometimes, when you're grinding, it could come down to a few key hands that determine whether you are going to be up for the night or down for the night. Last night, on a $1-2NL table, I was playing fairly well, growing my stack to about $280 when this happened... since I am at work right now, I don't have PT loaded here so I'll describe the situation.

Everyone folds to the button who has about $300 and he pops it to $8. I didn't really have a good read on him (that's the price I pay when I multitable) except he didn't seem to be awfully creative. So, my first impression was probably a solid player who plays tight aggressive. Well, I'm in the SB with KK. So, I considered slow playing but I thought this would be a good time to pop him back and send the message to not mess with my blinds (so much easier to do when you have the cards to back it up). So, I repopped him to $20. He then comes over the top to $34. Uh oh... AA? I mean what else would raise, re-raise, then re-raise? Well, there's like $70 in the pot so I call for $14 more. The flop comes all rags with two hearts so I check. He immediately pushes the whole stack... Ok, this hand is screaming aces. I mean what else would he do this with. AK of hearts if you just look at the flop but if you put the preflop action in your mind, it's clearly AA. Right? My clock is ticking, I get my usual 15 second warning (that's one thing I hate about online poker... just not enough time to think through some hands) and with like 5 seconds remaining, what do I do? I call. He flips over AA. Obviously. Ace on the turn seals the deal. Boom. Go from up $80 to down $200. I grinded out the rest of the night so at the end of the night, I was only down $30... but if I didn't donk away all my chips, I would have been up more than $200... I hate it when I make retard moves like that. The guy who took all my chips was at least nice about it. "Nothing much you can do there... unlucky." Errr, thanks but there's a lot I could do there. Like folding.

Note to self: When you know the opponent has AA, fold your KK. Brilliant.

Yours truly,
the retard donk

3 comments:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Sounds a lot like my post from today man. First you suspect he might have Aces. Then you think he has Aces. Finally you know he has Aces. But you still call. And what's he show you?

Aces. Eff.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I'm not gonna lie. The hand did happen last night but reading Hoy's blog and his thought process was EXACTLY what I went through (minus the ridiculous math that he did in his ridiculously mathy brain of his), which inevitably lead to this post.

Klopzi said...

This comment is about ten months late, but...

I wouldn't every worry about running kings into aces. I think re-raising pre-flop and trying to get it all-in was the right move.

Even after the flop, your call was well justified given the pot size and the flop.

Save laying down KK to tournaments.

FYI: Even if you think your opponent could be playing AA, KK, or QQ in this spot, you're justified in getting it all in pre-flop. In fact, even if you think your opponent would only do this with AA, KK, or AK (suited or off), you're still justified in getting all the money in as quickly as possible.

Just my two cents ten months after the fact...