Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Incorporating a lesson learned from other bloggers...

Few weeks ago, I read this post that I thought was very interesting. Previously, I pretty much considered reraising (in a cash game) with only premium hands for value or with good but vulnerable hands (maybe TT, JJ, QQ, AK) to protect them and to make them seem like better hands than they are. Basically, I was not creative and was playing standard tight/aggressive poker. I think Gnome's post made me look into the world of a little more loose/aggressive which is obviously needed in the higher levels. But, after reading his post, I've experimented here and there by reraising suited connectors and occasionally, they worked, other times, not so much. So, once I started getting a feel for when to use it, I hadn't done it in a while until this hand came up last night:

FullTiltPoker Game #2077576453: Table Hedge Top - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:31:02 ET - 2007/03/26
Seat 1: ROCKTJ ($205.60)
Seat 2: 100scoot ($186)
Seat 3: Cowboy 0389 ($256.60)
Seat 4: numbnuts ($419.20)
Seat 5: bg26892 ($366)
Seat 6: cfeuer ($435.90)
Seat 7: RecessRampage ($466.70)
Seat 8: LMB_LMB ($194.60)
Seat 9: card57 ($522.60)
LMB_LMB posts the small blind of $2
card57 is sitting out
ROCKTJ posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to RecessRampage [6s 5s]
100scoot folds
Cowboy 0389 folds
numbnuts folds
bg26892 raises to $14 (he's a relatively loose player who will certainly make plays)
cfeuer folds
RecessRampage raises to $40 (I thought this would be a good time with position)
LMB_LMB folds
ROCKTJ folds
bg26892 calls $26
*** FLOP *** [2s 3s 8d]
bg26892 checks
RecessRampage bets $70 (considering my cards, I figured this was a beautiful flop - gut shot straight draw and a flush draw)
bg26892 raises to $140 (uh oh... so maybe he had a pretty legit hand)
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage raises to $426.70, and is all in (he's gotta put me on aces or kings with this move)
bg26892 has 15 seconds left to act
bg26892 folds
Uncalled bet of $286.70 returned to RecessRampage
RecessRampage mucks
RecessRampage wins the pot ($363)

This ended up being a decent sized pot that I took down with a hand that I may have folded preflop or misplayed and not be able to chase post flop. When the opponent raised me on the flop, I wasn't necessarily convinced that he had a hand. I thought he could make this play in case I was trying to take the pot down with AK. If he had a decent pocket pair like TT or JJ, this would definitely be a play that he would make. Fortunately for me, I had a fair amount of outs if he did have a pocket pair (13 outs) so I felt like I could really be aggressive with this hand. I also knew that the image I had on the table (or at least some of the regulars which the villain was) was that I would bet my strong hands (flopped set, I almost always come out firing out) and that I generally fold to a strong bet unless I have a monster holding. So, by coming over the top, I knew I was making a very strong statement. I also pretty much knew that he couldn't have a set because the cards were so low. It would be rare for him to raise with a pocket pair lower than 8's in that position so I was fairly comfortable with putting him on a range of hands like 99, TT, JJ, QQ, AQ, or AK. According to pokertools, if I put him on a range of 99, TT, JJ, QQ, or AK, I still have 50.78% equity. So, pushing this marginal edge that I had was definitely a good move I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gutsy move, but your rationale was solid imo :)

Fuel55 said...

Well played - shows $5/10 or $10/20NL thinking.

Fuel55 said...

Well played - shows $5/10 or $10/20NL thinking.