Saturday, August 11, 2007

Close means nothing in tournaments

Last night, I ended up playing in a few tournaments which is unusual but based on the recent success that Lana had, I was inspired. So, of course, being the cash game guy that I am, I fired up a 2-4NL table and simultaneously started playing in the satellite for FTOPS event #3 and the token frenzy. Shortly thereafter, I saw Sia (PouringReign) and he mentioned that he was going to play in the 28k. I really didn't intend my session to be a long one but I thought, why the hell not. So I joined him at the 28k as well.

I donked out of the FTOPS 3 satellite but I felt good about my tournament game last night. One thing I really wanted to focus on was to play aggressive based on my reads and not based on my cards.

I know it's such a cliche about "cards don't matter" but when you look down at Q4o, even if you think your opponent is weak, it's sometimes hard to pull the trigger. Well, last night, I told myself that's what I'm gonna do and if I bust out that way, so be it. And surprisingly, I felt like I was clicking.

I ended up winning a token in the token frenzy and after that, I decided to really focus on the 28k as we entered hour #2. So I closed out the cash tables (where I managed to be up over a buy-in at 2-4NL) and just had the 28k open. And I have to hand it to myself. I played well. I stole here and there. I pulled a few resteals. Not enough to make people suspect it but just enough to keep my stack on pace with the escalating blinds.

And then this hand happened that I want your opinion on.

FullTiltPoker Game #3217429403: $28,000 Guarantee (24038653), Table 98 - 2500/5000 Ante 600 - No Limit Hold'em - 2:12:41 ET - 2007/08/11
Seat 1: my44izSET (47,224)
Seat 3: CaptJackDaniels (64,243)
Seat 4: slikcol (33,492)
Seat 5: YEARWOOD (47,970)
Seat 6: RecessRampage (68,828)
Seat 8: COBRA04 (17,868)
Seat 9: DuctTaper (129,128)
my44izSET antes 600
CaptJackDaniels antes 600
slikcol antes 600
YEARWOOD antes 600
RecessRampage antes 600
COBRA04 antes 600
DuctTaper antes 600
YEARWOOD posts the small blind of 2,500
RecessRampage posts the big blind of 5,000
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [Jh Jd]
COBRA04 folds
DuctTaper folds
my44izSET folds
CaptJackDaniels raises to 25,000 from the CO
slikcol raises to 32,892, and is all in
YEARWOOD folds
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage has requested TIME

Now, notice here that I have both of these players covered. The player from the CO is not unusually aggressive but at this stage, it was fairly common for the players to raise from late position. The pot before anyone enters the pot is already 10,000+ so with 60k in chips, I felt like I was at a point where adding this pot would be huge for my stack considering I was probably around 15th out of the remaining 22 players. So, I ended up shoving, trying to isolate the all-in. One funny thing though is that I for some reason felt like this might be a set up hand. I told my friend on girly chat "watch this. I have a feeling this might be a set up hand." And I did consider folding.


RecessRampage raises to 68,228, and is all in
CaptJackDaniels calls 38,643, and is all in
RecessRampage shows [Jh Jd]
CaptJackDaniels shows [Kc Ks]
slikcol shows [Qc Ah]
Uncalled bet of 4,585 returned to RecessRampage
*** FLOP *** [3h 8h 5s]
*** TURN *** [3h 8h 5s] [7s]
*** RIVER *** [3h 8h 5s 7s] [6s]
RecessRampage shows a pair of Jacks
CaptJackDaniels shows a pair of Kings
CaptJackDaniels wins the side pot (61,502) with a pair of Kings
slikcol shows Ace Queen high
CaptJackDaniels wins the main pot (105,376) with a pair of Kings
slikcol stands up

That obviously crippled me and the very next hand, I busted out with K6 against the BB who had 34.

After 4 hrs, this is all I had to show for in this tournament. Man, over 1300 runners, 21st place and only $140 for my efforts. Tournaments are tough. Thanks to Lana, Bayne, and Sia for railing me.

7 comments:

Mike Maloney said...

Jacks are a hand you have to be very careful with. Late in a tournament, with the blinds as high as they are, you generally have to be very suspect of people who raise instead of pushing when their M is only around 5. CJD put in over 40% of his stack with a raise, so he's basically pot committed. But he didn't push the rest of it in. That always sets off a red flag with me. Now, that being said, if he bets like that and slikcol folds, I might end up pushing like you did anyways, because in a HU situation, if he's on a steal attempt you do have fold equity, and you're really only worried about QQ, KK and AA.

However, the fact that slikcol came over the top all-in, I think that really weakens your holding, and JJ in a three-way pot is at best in a coin-flip situation, and most likely is against two people with overs and/or an overpair. slikcol almost for sure has two overcards or an overpair, and CJD could be on a steal, but he could still have overcards or an overpair. Given all those holdings, I just think you're going into the hand as an underdog, and given your chipstack, I don't think it's a move you need to make here.

I've gotten a lot better this year at getting away from JJ in tough situations, it definitely helps. This late in the tournament, it's important to get all your money in with a good chance to chip up, not when your at best a coinflip, especially if you're not even a shortstack.

But I'm not a 4-star tournament donk, so what the hell do I know?

Gnome said...

I would have considered folding against a raiser and an all-in player in front. Even though you had them covered, you were crippled after losing the hand. It seems too likely that one of the two previous raisers has a stronger hand than yours. Many times, you're hoping for a coinflip, which isn't ideal.

Anonymous said...

Well. I was actually surprised you called there. It would have been one thing if you were heads up against the initial raiser, but with the all in by slikcol you had to know you weren't better than 50% to win the hand. Granted, slikcol only had 30k or so in chips so even if you beat out CJD and lost to slikcol you have about 30k in chips left, but didn't seem worth it since it seemed like you were up against a host of overcards if not a higher PP. But honestly, your reads were very good all night and I don't think it's a travesty to go out on JJ in what COULD have been a huge hand for you. It was certainly possible that CJD had a holding like 10/10 and slikcol had A/J in which case you only had to avoid a couple cards.
One other thing to keep in mind is that you're getting advice from someone who finished about 500th in the very same tournament. Go figure.

cmitch said...

I would have probably folded unless the guys were really aggro. Tough spot and you can make the argument either way.

1Queens Up1 said...

I concur with what everyone else said. In this instance I'd put the initial raiser on A-A or K-K because of exactly what MM said, its a fishy bet. Silk comin over the top Would suggest something like A-Ks. I'd probably toss Js here because late in big tourneys like this I'm looking to move up the ladder unless it was cheap enough of a raise to see a flop.

Schaubs said...

Nevertheless, congrats on the great finish. Shitty way to go out, but that's poker.

I'd likely fold, but I am not sure if I am good enough yet.

emptyman said...

Man JJ in the BB is pretty. Fold fold fold.

No fold equity, you will have to win the showdown.

What range of hands do you have dominated? And if you aren't way ahead, do you really want to risk tournament life calling off most of your chips? I think you have to HOPE to see 99 and AK or something, and even then....

I would probably call, but I'm a fonkey. I'm working on it.