Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I love it when...

There are certain hands that always stick out in your memory. Maybe it was your first big win. Maybe it was a gigantic loss. Maybe it was a ridiculous bad beat that you gave someone. Or a ridiculous one you took. Strangely (and maybe fortunately), I seem to remember the good ones. The biggest pot I've ever won online, biggest pot I've ever won live, the ridiculous bad beat that I dealt... Those probably make for a fun story and this hand doesn't qualify as any of the above but, it's still fun when two guys have TPTK (top pair top kicker) and I am looking at trips. So, with no further ado, voila:

FullTiltPoker Game #1792153443: Table Padre Field - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:35:20 ET - 2007/02/13
Seat 1: Gooch1234 ($518.90)
Seat 2: RAC00N ($382.50)
Seat 3: TWEB31 ($287.60)
Seat 4: RecessRampage ($398)
Seat 5: CoachTooz ($512.10)
Seat 6: Stylistic ($527.20)
Seat 7: DengBangGang ($518.35)
Seat 8: itsbrianwithay ($89.30)
Seat 9: Vince09 ($400)
RAC00N posts the small blind of $2
TWEB31 posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [4h 4s]
RecessRampage calls $4
CoachTooz folds
Stylistic folds
DengBangGang folds
itsbrianwithay raises to $8
Vince09 folds
Gooch1234 calls $8
RAC00N calls $6
TWEB31 folds
RecessRampage calls $4
*** FLOP *** [Qd 4c Jh]
RAC00N checks
RecessRampage checks
itsbrianwithay bets $10
Gooch1234 raises to $45
RAC00N folds
RecessRampage calls $45
itsbrianwithay raises to $81.30, and is all in
Gooch1234 raises to $465
RecessRampage calls $345, and is all in
Gooch1234 shows [Ah Qc]
RecessRampage shows [4h 4s]
itsbrianwithay shows [Qs Ad]
Uncalled bet of $75 returned to Gooch1234
*** TURN *** [Qd 4c Jh] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [Qd 4c Jh 6c] [6s]
Gooch1234 shows two pair, Queens and Sixes
RecessRampage shows a full house, Fours full of Sixes
RecessRampage wins the side pot ($617.40) with a full house, Fours full of Sixes
itsbrianwithay shows two pair, Queens and Sixes
RecessRampage wins the main pot ($276.90) with a full house, Fours full of Sixes
itsbrianwithay is sitting out

What a nice pot, a nice flop, etc etc. The funny thing is, I generally never limp from early position with a pocket pair because I feel like if I limp, someone raises and I call, it's so obvious I have a pocket pair. But, I also obviously switch it up so I did. The other thing that's uncharacteristic is I usually bet out when I hit trips. I feel like it disguises my hand better. If I check raise once, then that already shows how strong I am. If I bet out, then the guy never really knows if I have trips, two pair, just hit the top pair, etc. But again, I thought the board was juicy enough that I could make something of it so I checked. The rest is history. The big stack pushing all in was a nice pleasant surprise.

Oh, and in case you're curious, biggest pot online was approx $1,600 and it came when I flopped a set of sixes against a guy who had KK and both of us had approx $800 in our stacks.

Biggest pot live came when I had 7-9 from the button, it was raised to like $10 preflop and there were like 6 people. Checked around on the flop when I had an open-ender, caught my nut straight on the turn and the betting commenced from early position, one caller, I raised from the button, I got reraised, the other guy ends up calling, I go all in, and they both call. Two of them had 2 pair and my straight holds up for a nice $1,400 pot.

And the worst beat I dealt someone? Was online. $1-2 NL, just started, we both had $200 - max buy-in. I get pocket 6s and I flop a set. Basically, money goes all in the middle by the turn, except I'm in bad shape when he flips over pocket 10s which he flopped a set also. Except the river came another 6 to give me quads. Sick, sick beat. Worst part is probably the fact that I KNEW I was ahead... just to find out I was waaaaaaaay behind...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...so that hand kind of proves my point about low pocket pair (see comment below). The potential benefit of hitting trips on the flop is too huge to pass up. I mean, that's the exact scenario I was talking about in my comment
yesterday (granted it was a cash game and I think you were originally referring to tourney play, but same concept).

And as far as betting out on your trip 4's (which you said was normally your play), I would be careful not to give these online players too much credit (unless you know they are good which in my opinion is rare). I mean, a lot of these guys are playing and have no game whatsoever. Granted, you would know better than I do sitting at the table, but my point is, online especially, I wouldn't assume the guys you are playing against have the same Poker IQ as you do (in which case your typical play of disguising your trips by leading out may be the wrong move). Just a thought.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Good point. It does depend though. And when I mentioned not playing low pocket pairs, I was talking about tournaments. Because for example, let's say the blinds are 25-50 and you have 600 left and you find yourself with pocket 5's in early position. What do you do? Let's say you call. But let's say you also know that the table is solid aggressive. Guy from late position raises to 200, what do you do? Simple. You push all in and hope it's a race. Because you don't have equity to just call and hope for trips. You have 1 in 8 chance to hit the trips. You're not getting enough pot odds (including the implied odds) to just call. That's why in tournaments where you have limited amount of chips, playing low pocket pairs is dangerous. You have to pick your spots. Cash game in that sense is different. Very different because you're all deep.

As for trips, at 2-4NL where people generally buy in for $400, the players are pretty solid. There are about 4-5 guys at the table of 9 who are pretty solid. But you don't see total donks like the ones you talk about. Also, with the Neteller going down and stuff, I feel like there are less donks these days. So, it's a bit more competitive and so varying your play becomes crucial. But, who knows, there are probably other players in their blogs talking about how much of a donk RecessRampage is at FTP...