Thursday, February 8, 2007

Coming up.... FTOPS III

Tomorrow at 9pm will kick off the start of FTOPS III (Full Tilt Online Poker Series) which will run for a week and conclude with a $1.5 million guarantee on Sunday the 18th.




So far, I've qualified for 4 of the events. Events 1, 3, 5, and 8 are the events I'm in. I haven't played in any of the satellites for the Main Event, mainly because the times have been inconvenient (there was like one at 6pm, at which point I am generally still at work and another at midnight, at which point, I'm generally turning the lights out to go to sleep). I'm sure there will be many more satellites coming up this week so I'm definitely planning on qualifying for the main event.

Last night, one of the FTOPS winner was playing at one of the $2-4 NL tables that I was playing at. I also managed to donk off $300 to him when I tried to bluff him off his K-J after the flop with my pocket 10s when J was the highest card on the board. I fired off a $200 bet on the river, he thought about it for a while and called. How did I know he was a FTOPS winner? Well, all FTOPS winner wins a gold jersey as an avatar (of course, along with the first place money which is generally $30,000+). So based on that, I thought he might make that lay down. Last night was brutal. I was literally up $300 across 3 tables of 2-4NL (starting to do ok with my multitabling 2-4NL) but ended the night being down $300.... that's a $600 swing. That sucked. Aside from the donk play, I lost a fair amount when my pocket aces lost to pocket kings when he hit top set. Fortunately, I played it cautiously when the K hit the board because I had a bad feeling about it based on how the betting went. Losing only $200 in that hand, in my mind is minimizing the loss considering we both had about $500 (it would have really sucked if I lost the entire stack). I really hope I do well. I'm not gonna kid myself. It will require a mini-miracle for me to win any one of these tournaments. But this would be a good time for a mini-miracle (ok, maybe I need a ridiculous freakin miracle... always a good time for a ridiculous freakin miracle, right?).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

some good advise on your quest at the FTOPS. If someone reaises all-in and you have J-10 suited, call. Trust me on this one :-)

Anonymous said...

some good advise on your quest at the FTOPS. If someone reaises all-in and you have J-10 suited, call. Trust me on this one :-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I might try to qualify for event 1, but so far, I'm going to be busy for most of the evenings of the FTOPS. Anyway, I qualified for the #2 event on Saturday (HORSE) by winning an 8 player SNG. As JT would ask, you won a tournament?

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Yeah, I qualified for the 4 events via a satellite tourney. You can see my posts in January titled FTOPS satellite tourney and Dare I say... en fuego baby!!!
And btw, the iron man level tourney is still a bargain. Only 240 ish players and I think like top 80 gets paid. Basically, one in three players get paid. That's almost a joke considering it's a freeroll.