Monday, January 8, 2007

Poker for fun

It's no secret that I love playing poker. I take the game very seriously and even though I want to make a lot of money playing poker, that's not my primary goal. This will sound like a cliche but it's generally not about the money. Money is more like a score, the amount of money in my poker account is more like the scorecard. But still, there are times I just want to play the game for fun. Play where not much money is at stake and try things you never would at a serious table. Well, this past Friday, a group of my friends and I got together for a poker night. This random gathering of friends to play poker is really different from the regular, grinding poker that I play. We generally play once every 1-2 months. In the 5 or 6 times we've played so far, I don't think I've ever folded preflop. Maaaaaaaybe once, but I really can't remember. And of course, when I make a hand and I know I could get a call, I still don't go for the kill. I sometimes tell them what I have after the river card comes out and they're contemplating a call (like "if you can't beat 2 pair, then you shouldn't call"). And I've never lied. It's just not that kinda poker. It's for fun... amazingly, I never lose which I should be due at some point. I managed to grind out a $6 profit from Friday. But the main highlight of Friday was when one of the guys decided it would be funny if the first person to have to rebuy would have to go into the dog cage that our very good host had. So, when a relatively tight (again, a "tight" player on Friday night is very relative) player went all in for $5, I decided to call with 2-5 of clubs. We bought in for $20, I had close to $30 at that point so for $5, the chance to put someone in the cage was irresistable odds (pot odds plus cage odds made it a must call). Then, my friend next to me who also plays poker pretty seriously (but not with this group) immediately caught the drift of the cage odds and so he calls... with 3-4 of hearts. No one else wanted to put that much money in (I mean it was .$25/$.50 blinds) so we flip our cards and the all in has AJ and the two of us has the 4 lowest cards. Well, all heart flop sealed the AJ's fate since he didn't have a heart. The guy was a very good sport and got into the cage while all of us pulled out our cell phones to take pictures of the guy. I'm tempted to post this here but I realized that I do draw the line somewhere and posting a picture of a guy who was a good sport about getting in the cage online where everyone can see was not something I want to do. But man, that was funny. Profit from Friday night = $6. Seeing GS go into the cage while someone was waving a dog treat in his face with at least 3 of us taking pictures with our phones = priceless.

No comments: