Wednesday, January 10, 2007

FTOPS satellite tourney

Alright! So, like I posted earlier after my dismal performance on the Tuesday night circuit, I came home and signed up for the tournament I wanted to play. This tournament is actually a qualifier (ie satellite) to one of the events of FTOPS which is the Full Tilt Online Poker Series. It's like a mini-WSOP where they have like 7 or 8 events which are mainly NL hold'em but they also have a short handed (where all the tables are 6 seat instead of 9) game, limit game, and they also have Omaha Hi/Lo and Omaha Hi, and a HORSE event. Anyways, so now, they have a daily satellite for $69+6 which can either get you a seat in 3 events that are $216 a piece (events 1, 5, and 8, which are NL, short handed, and limit, respectively) or another one for $69+6 to event #3 which is a $300+22 NL event. I actually wanted to play in the qualifier for the 3 events but that one starts at 9... if I'm home by then from the Tuesday night game, then that means I literally gave my $25, went all in the first hand, got called, and lost. But the 1opm game was the satellite to the $300+22 event which I also wanted to qualify for.

Well, luck was on my side at least online. There were 55 players that entered and top 11 places qualified (12th got $253 in cash). Well, I played very tight the first hour, hour and a half maybe and then I opened it up when I was convinced that a lot of players pegged me as a very tight player. On rare occasions where it had to go to a showdown, I held strong hands too so that helped my bluffing a lot which became a necessity when the blinds got really high with antes and people were on the bubble. When there were 15 players left, I literally started stealing people's blinds and raises (some would raise and I would come over the top with pretty mediocre holdings but generally, nobody wanted to bust out at that point). When it was down to 13 players, everyone tightened up. That's pretty normal but this was tighter than usual. And couple of short stack all ins survived but finally, one of them failed to improve and was knocked out to the joy of 12 other players. After the 12th place guy got knocked out, all 11 of us qualified so it was literally an all in fest and I ended up in 8th place. I'd like to qualify for as many FTOPS events as possible. Prize pools for these events should be pretty healthy so hopefully, I'll do ok in one of them. GOOD NIGHT NOW!

No comments: