Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Thou shalt not doubt the power of presto...

After 42 "Presto is Gold" entries by Fuel55, you would think I would have learned...

$2-4NL 9 handed
One limper from EP and I make a pot sized bet to $18 from CO with AK. EP calls so we see the flop heads up. Flop comes 3-8-K with no flush draw. Checked to me so I bet $35 into a $42 pot. EP calls. Turn comes a 5. Checked to me again so I'm thinking he either has a weak K (like KQ, KJ) or he might have a set. Well, donkish me, I bet $70 into a $112 pot only to be reraised all in. Since EP was relatively shortstacked, it was only $50 more for me to call so I felt like at this point, I had to call. EP shows 55 (not sure why he called the flop bet considering he was out of position also) for a set...

Another $2-4NL 9 handed
Couple of middle position limpers and the CO raises to $22. I find 55 so I call from the button. Small blind, who is also relatively shortstacked reraises all in for $110 total. The two limpers fold and it's back to the CO who thinks about it for a long time and then finally decides to call. Now, I am in an interesting situation where I have to call another $90 but the pot is offering me close to 3-1. The problem is, after that call, the CO only has about $250. And since the SB is all in, I knew he had AK or a pocket pair that was better than mine. All told, I did not have enough equity in order to call for set mining since even if I hit a set, I'd have to get the rest of CO's money and even then, I don't have enough pot odds to call (7:1 to hit a set. Best case scenario with implied odds, I'm a little short of 6:1) so I naturally fold. I'm screaming as the flop comes A-Q-5 and with no help on the turn and the river, the CO wins the pot... with QJ suited!!!!! SB had pocket 10's. I'm not one to be result oriented so presented with the exact same scenario, I'd fold again but that always sucks to see a huge pot going to a guy who had no business being in the hand...

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

Lessons learned, Son. Lessons learned. I ain't making this stuff up you know!