Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Birthday weekend and MATH (not much poker content)

Quick note: I am experimenting with the title and such because as it stands now, there's no correlation between my screenname on FullTilt (RecessRampage), my blog address (pokertachi), and my profile (Alan). Basically, I'm all over the place so I'm trying to bring it together for less confusion...

This past Saturday was my birthday... I remember when I was a lot younger, I used to be very excited about my birthday. My parents would have parties, I'd invite all my friends (basically all my classmates because when there's a party, all of a sudden, everyone becomes your friend) and we'd have a fun time with presents and all... and then you get older and it's still kinda cool because you go out, maybe get drunk with your friends and most of the time, you don't have to pay for those drinks... and then you get older than that and basically it starts sucking... because it's another year that's gone by and that's about it. So, for my birthday, my wife took me out to dinner at this italian restaurant which was really good. But aside from that, we spent it like we do every other Saturdays... her napping while I play poker all day... I have to admit though, that's pretty much what I wanted to do so it worked out great.

Speaking of birthdays, in my previous job, I used to work in this office with about 50 people. And at one point, we had 4 people with the same birthday... I remember thinking that was so crazy... I mean what are the odds!? Well, few years later, I heard an interesting theory. William Chen was talking about this quantum theory "joke" about the odds of a person having the same birthday as yourself. The way it goes is this (and by the way, it's not a ha ha funny kinda joke... those quantum analysts, their crazy!!): If you grabbed 20 random people, the odds of them having a certain birthdate that you pick out is very low (20/365, right?). However, the chance that 2 people out of that 20 have the same birthday is actually not that unlikely. The reason? Because for each person that you ask in that group of 20, the odds increase. In other words, after you ask person A and person B what they're birthdays are, person C has to have a birthday that's either A or B. But by the 15th person, if there hasn't been a repeat at that point, there are 14 birthdays that are already "taken." When I heard that theory/joke, I remember thinking that that was very interesting (bringing out my inner nerd).

On Sunday, we had a family Easter dinner at a nearby upscale steak restaurant. They had a breakfast buffet that was fantastic. I love those things. Nothing like good food in unlimited quantities. So, even though there was no particular significance for me, Easter was enjoyable. Growing up, all I did was color eggs and go on egg hunts... I still want to know how that thing started. I watched Southpark the other day and they sorta addressed that... by saying that St Peter was actually a rabbit (ie Peter Rabbit)... hilarious.

Last night, I played in my first ever MATH (Mondays at the Hoy) on FTP (I did play the MATH on PokerStars once before). I generally played a straight up tight aggressive game which got me to the final table with my M around 7 or 8 which was the case with like 6 out of the 9 of us at the final table. Well, after my KK loses to AQ (all in preflop), I was crippled but a few all ins later, I was pretty much back up to where my stack was before that unfortunate beat... and then I'm in the big blind with AA. My stack was around T11,000 (again, M is probably 6 around this point). Our chipleader raises to T2500 and the button calls so with blinds and antes on top of that, it was a good amount in the pot so I pushed all in to get called by our chipleader who shows pocket 9's. Funny thing is, I felt a bad beat looming over my head.... and sure enough, a 9 flops and with no help on the turn or the river, I bust out in 8th place despite my valiant effort. Oh well, at least he put the chips to good use by winning the whole thing.... again.

All in all, a very fun time. I'm also glad that this tournament started at 10pm because it gives me time to do everything else I need to do before I could sit down and play.... the only downside is, I'm up till like 1am so I'm exhausted this morning....

No comments: