Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Been so long, I can't even come up with a title...

Man... it's been a while since I posted. Well, in reality, I guess it's only been like a week but for me, that's a really long time to go without posting. Work ramped up last week again and so I just couldn't really bring myself to blog during work hours. And yet I managed to still play basketball in the mornings but that means I gotta get up around 6am (I know, not that early for some people but uber early for me). So, this is why you haven't seen me play in any blogger tournaments recently. I don't like to play in tournaments that could go to like 1am (EST) when I know that I'll be waking up early to go work out. Who knew that working out/playing basketball ranked higher than poker for me?????

Having said that, I of course have played an hour or so every night. Which by 4 tabling is enough to earn me 200pts... yes, I'm still that sucker... once a sucker, forever a sucker... or something.

Recently, I noticed based on other blogs that there have been a lot of non-NLHE tournaments. I think that's great. A little variety never hurt. However, I personally have mixed feelings about these mixed games. My high school basketball coach used to say to me "Stop practicing your left hand layups until you can shoot 100% with your right hand. At least, don't do it on my time!" His point was that during practice, we shouldn't be trying something new. That we should be working on other parts of our game on our own time and that practice should be used to perfect your current skill set. Because of that, my lefty lay-up is not really smooth to this day (yes, I'm 31 and I'm blaming my high school b-ball coach on the lack of development of certain areas). However, I do have a fairly mean jumper. So I guess it all evens out. The point of this is, that's kinda why I have reservations about coming out to the blogger tourneys to play in the mixed games format since I have no clue what I'm doing. I mean I know the rules. But I don't know "how" to play. And I feel like until I study up, read, practice on my own time, etc, I shouldn't play. And then the other part is, until I perfect my NLHE game, I shouldn't be spending my limited poker time on non-NLHE games. God dammit. Stupid high school coach. Coach Peterson, why are you still in my head!? So, for as long as I only have 1-2hrs of poker time on the weekdays, it appears I will be focusing on 6 max cash game because I am far from 100% in that area. Sure, I'm profitable. But I'm past the point of being profitable or not being the criteria for how I'm doing. How profitable is the question. In my mind, not enough.

Having said that, it looks like I have a fan. He's been sifting through my older posts, leaving me comments which was very funny/interesting because I know I did the same for some of the other blogs where I went into their archives, read up on stuff, and left comments where no one else would see except for the blogger himself. Well, this "fan" of mine (I'm taking the liberty to call him my fan regardless of whether he really is or not) did a post which was totally flattering. Read that here. It's almost insane that I get grouped with this high profile crowd. But I am flattered. So, go read his blog. He's another guy who's grinding low limits right now with visions of making it to med/high stakes (5/10NL). Maybe you too can enjoy the ride.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I put up my next post.

4 comments:

smokkee said...

yo Alan,

in response to the question you left on my blog about the Bodonkey series, you can create a new Bodog account and download the client here if you haven't already: http://www.bodoglife.com/welcome/2223816 /poker/

after you've done that, you can register for the series here:
http://www.bodoglife.com/promotions/poker/blogger-tournament/

after you've done those 2 things, you can goto Bodog's tournament lobby and register for the Bodog Blogger Tournament.

GL

Anonymous said...

"The Four" .... gotta love that.

PouringReign

Klopzi said...

Definitely an avid reader of your blog. If I'm going to make it to the 5/10 games any time soon, I'll have to rely on the wisdom of solid players.

Mind you, you'll notice that I've still got a lot to learn after I finish posting some of my poorly played hands.

Anyway, thanks for the shout out - I appreciate it. And thanks for the quality posts. They've really paid off for me.

Unknown said...

I play 95% PL/NLO8 cash games yet am forced to play NLHE tournaments because its what everyone else does (and the weakest MTT fields).

Puts me at a disadvantage during the BBT series and a shot at the big prizes.