Friday, July 27, 2007

Take 2! and why it's hard to toss overpairs

So my 5-7off hand wasn't too popular. I'm looking back at the hand history and I really don't hate my play all that much. But, that's just my style I guess so it is what it is. So maybe if they were suited and actually connected, it might be better...

Full Tilt Poker Game #3074138935: Table Lantana Falls - $3/$6 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:46:35 ET - 2007/07/27

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [5d 6d]
UTG+1 calls $6
Villain raises to $18 from MP
RecessRampage calls $18 from button
SB calls $15
BB folds
Original limper (UTG+1) calls $12

What!? They were sooted!

*** FLOP *** [4h Kd 7h]
SB checks
UTG+1 checks
Villain bets $24
RecessRampage calls $24
BadDawgRisin folds
bluemeds folds

Honestly... as I called, the first thought I had was "oh man, if I catch a straight and win a big pot, this has GOT to get on my blog." Plus, I had odds. $24 bet into a $72 pot seems fishy anyways. He either has a monster or he hated the flop.

*** TURN *** [4h Kd 7h] [2d]
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain bets $36
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage raises to $120
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain folds
Uncalled bet of $84 returned to RecessRampage
RecessRampage mucks
RecessRampage wins the pot ($195)

$24 bet into a $72 pot is fishy. $36 bet into a $120 pot seemed very fishy. So, if he were stringing me along with like AK of hearts or something, so be it. I now have a diamond draw and an OESD. Time to bump it up and see if he has a legit hand or not. And then he types this in the chat that makes my day.

Villain: f*cking JJ
Villain: i hate that god damn hand

But I don't ALWAYS play rags.

Now it's things like this that make it so hard to fold an overpair...

Full Tilt Poker Game #3074196678: Table Lantana Falls - $3/$6 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:52:48 ET - 2007/07/27
Seat 1: BlueOceans ($681)
Seat 2: bluemeds ($439.40)
Seat 3: Stylistic ($615.30), is sitting out
Seat 4: Roesef22 ($425.55)
Seat 5: DGAF King ($376.55)
Seat 6: readmyline ($1,274.65)
Seat 7: RecessRampage ($976)
Seat 8: BadDawgRisin ($60.45)
RecessRampage posts the small blind of $3
BadDawgRisin posts the big blind of $6
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RecessRampage [Kd Kc]
BlueOceans folds
bluemeds raises to $18
Roesef22 folds
DGAF King: almost back to even at this god forsaking table <---villain
DGAF King folds
readmyline folds
RecessRampage calls $15
BadDawgRisin calls $12

*** FLOP *** [Jc 7d 4c]
RecessRampage checks
BadDawgRisin checks
bluemeds bets $54
Mistadobalina22 adds $150
RecessRampage raises to $150
BadDawgRisin folds
bluemeds has 15 seconds left to act
bluemeds calls $96

Just to give a quick background. Earlier, at the same table, I reraised from the SB with KK and took a decent pot when it went to showdown against a guy who had a J on a J high board. So, this time, when I got KK, I decided to call from the SB to disguise my hand. Of course, if there was a lot of action, I was willing to fold. Now, on the flop, I figured it missed the original raiser but if we both check, he'd have to bet the J high flop. As if on cue, he does. So I checkraise him to see where he stands. I will admit, I was kinda surprised to see him call. So, I thought maybe a J, maybe a flush draw... then this happens...

*** TURN *** [Jc 7d 4c] [Jd]

I hated that card.

RecessRampage checks
bluemeds bets $271.40, and is all in
RecessRampage has 15 seconds left to act
RecessRampage has requested TIME

I had about 40 seconds extra in my time bank and I used about half of it. It felt funny that he shoved so I thought maybe he's representing a J and instead could have a hand like AQ or AK of clubs. That's honestly what went through my mind. Then I thought "man, I HOPE he's not overbetting for value..." So, I knew this was kind of a donkish call and as such, I typed this in the chat box...

RecessRampage: I'm such a donkey...

RecessRampage calls $271.40
bluemeds shows [7s 3s]
RecessRampage shows [Kd Kc]
*** RIVER *** [Jc 7d 4c Jd] [2c]
bluemeds shows two pair, Jacks and Sevens
RecessRampage shows two pair, Kings and Jacks
RecessRampage wins the pot ($893.80) with two pair, Kings and Jacks
bluemeds is sitting out

Not even a flush draw. See, I get rewarded for this donkish call. IMO, this is a lot more donkish of a call than the call I made on the turn in my other post. But see, I could have just as easily gotten stacked (or doubled him up since I had him well covered)... This is why it's so hard to fold an overpair...

No comments: